A look back at what was happening around here in April 1999.
Our April 1999 cover showed St Mary’s Church, Wythall, which had been rescued from ruin by a developer intending to turn it into offices – but a group of residents hoped to buy it for community use.
IN THE NEWS:
The Village reported on lots of new developments in the area, such as the refurbishment of the ‘New’ Cramar Cat Sanctuary at Hopwood, the amenities at Rubery Great Park, the progress of the new motorway services, and the upcoming launch of the Rover 75.
We also discovered how Roberts Corner in Alvechurch got its name!
Barnt Green Scout leaders (including Michael Docherty and George Cochrane, left) had launched an appeal to raise £250,000 for a new village Scouting centre. Plans had been drawn up for a new building to replace the existing hut, built in 1932.
Young skaters, including Angus (right), were using street furniture such as the handrails at Alvechurch railway station while they waited for the new village skate park at The Becks to be completed – it had been much delayed by bad weather.